A commercial came on Television last night about how you can spray your child’s room to make it smell clean. I was appalled by the meaning of this commercial. It basically is insulting your intelligence by telling you and your children that you can clean a room by using their air freshener. I guess these companies really think that we will blindly follow their ridiculous guidance. People with Asthma and Allergies would have serious problems with their health if they followed the Air Fresheners Companies advice. A friend of mine went into a woman’s bathroom recently and had to leave the store because one of these fragrance products made her sick in the restroom. Guess that company lost her business forever because of lack of cleanliness in their store.
People who have sensitivities to these products are the same people who when they go into a public restroom, they start to gag at the masking scents that companies are using instead of cleaning their bathrooms. This is a real shame that major companies use these products instead of cleaning their bathrooms. I was in a Major Office Supply Company today and could not believe how dirty their public bathroom was. They also had one of those units spraying fragrance into the air with water all over the floor. Guess they are not “Taking Care of Business” anymore.
According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commissions, some air fresheners can release pollutants into the air you breathe. For starters, there are phthalates that can be released into the air you breathe. Phthalates are hazardous chemicals that have been linked to different hormonal abnormalities and some birth defect problems. When released into the air, these chemicals are inhaled or absorbed by the skin. Our advice is to avoid all air fresheners unless they can be proven to be safe for you to breathe. More studies need to be done before the entire picture can be seen.
In conclusion, the picture that air freshener commercials are portraying is not good for our children. We all know that you cannot clean a room using an air freshener to mask dirt. Individuals with Asthma and Allergies should avoid these products because they may be allergic to the contents of them. The Consumer Products Safety Commission says that air fresheners can release pollutants into the air we breathe.
Avoidance is the best policy if you are allergic to these chemical pollutants. If you have an allergic reaction to these products upon exposure, contact your Doctor immediately.